First Surgery Recovery Days 26 and 27: Infection draining tube still in

Monday and Tuesday, February 3 and 4, 2014

On Monday February 3rd I visited one of the surgeons who assisted in my surgery. He noticed my swelling had reduced a lot since Friday, but decided to keep the small tube in my mouth until Wednesday, just two more days. The small tube is in my gums, inside one of the incisions made during my surgery almost four weeks ago. It helps to drain excess food that gets trapped in there. I look forward to the day when the hole is all healed up and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Both today and yesterday, I continued drinking Ensure during the hours I worked at my job. I leave to get on the train at 8:30 and don't get back home until 6:45-7:00 most nights, so that's somewhere around 10 hours of only having Ensure to keep my stomach happy. It's working. I don't know how, but it's working.

Today I realized that tomorrow will be four weeks after surgery. I am so glad I made it to this point. If you're wondering what it's like around four weeks after having surgery on both the upper and lower jaws, you're still very much recovering at this point. It's a whole lot easier than the first week for sure. Comparing week four to week one, in week four you aren't drooling constantly like you were in weeks one and two. Your face isn't ridiculously swollen like in week one. You can somewhat speak, though you still sound idiotic. Your nose isn't dripping blood or drying out like in week one. You aren't having issues simply swallowing liquid that's ready to go down the back of your throat. That was the worst in the first week. You are feeling more energetic at week four for sure. You are out of the hospital for sure. In fact you should only be in the hospital the first 1-2 nights. I have heard of some people getting out the day of surgery, though only if you're getting the much easier lower jaw surgery without any work on the upper jaw. Four weeks down isn't too bad.

The next things I'm looking forward to are having more numbness leave my face, my jaw muscles healing enough so I can open a bit more, and biggest of all: getting my splint removed. The splint, as it was explained to me, basically keeps my upper jaw from collapsing while the bones heal with the new plates and screws. Very comforting, right? It usually comes out after 4-6 weeks.

Click to comment.